GLJ Consulting, through its staff, has over the last nine years delivered numerous projects in higher education, introducing innovation into the projects and realising value for the sector. Projects have included:
- Undertook a detailed financing options appraisal for Newcastle University and implemented the preferred option of a 30 year £100M loan facility with the European Investment Bank (EIB).
- Nine student accommodation transactions, ranging from the provision of new and refurbished student accommodation, through to refinancing arrangements, change of ownership and nomination agreements. The projects have involved the delivery of over 6,000 bedrooms and realised capital receipts for the sector of £44M, together with over £200M of off balance sheet finance.
- Delivery of 8 outsourced catering contracts and 3 contract extensions realising substantial improvements in financial performance and quality, together with several £M of capital contributions.
- Delivery of 12 outsourced clinical placement agreements for the on-site training of Veterinary Science Students.
- Delivery of a new £21M, 202 bedroom hotel to support an existing conference centre from feasibility study to final completion, together with transfer of operation and all staff to a wholly owned subsidiary and establishment of a fully outsourced management and operation contract for the combined new hotel and conference centre.
- Refinanced the University of Nottingham’s bank debt and established a market leading fully revolving £110M 35 year facility.
- Reviewed financing options for a University and developed the preferred corporate bond issue into a £80-100M private placement option for the University to take forward.
- Established various joint ventures between higher education establishments and with the private sector covering research and development companies through to an IVF treatment business in the UK and overseas.
- Realised exit strategies on behalf of a University in business interests that they wished to cease (in both cases realising a trade exit, rather than a straight closure), through to marketing and negotiating the establishment of two licence deals for food ingredient innovations with a multi-national food company.
GLJ Consulting, through its staff, has over the last twenty years supported the delivery of numerous projects across the NHS, introducing innovation into the projects and realising value for the sector. Projects have included:
- The retendering of a major treatment centre.
- The commissioning of regional 111, out of hours, dental, and APMS services.
- Preparing a provider arm service for separation from a PCT.
- Oversight of the merger of two acute hospitals.
- 4 major hospital PFI procurements.
- A multi-activity partnering contract for all non-core services for the Public Health Laboratory Service.
Wider PFI/PPP Projects
GLJ Consulting, through its staff, has extensive experience supporting client side and bidder teams across the MOD, other central government departments and local authorities, including:
- Bid directed a student accommodation project at Goldsmiths University for the ‘Student Living by Sodexo’ consortium (which included Sodexo and Kier)
- 12 PFI projects with the MOD, ranging from major infrastructure projects to innovative equipment and logistics projects.
- 3 major PPP projects for the MOD covering all FM services and training, ranging in size from £35M pa to in excess £100M pa service contracts.
- Established 5 consortia to bid on various major PFI and PPP contracts.
- 7 major waste projects (including 4 PFI contracts) with local authorities
- A £1B PFI project to deliver the Home Office’s IT infrastructure and future business change.
- 2 contracts for the provision of back office support services for Government Agencies.
Acting on behalf of the MOD facilitated the settlement of multi-million pound claims from three contractors and helped re-establish a strong working relationship between the contractors and the MOD.